Sunday, June 6, 2010

Happy Birthday!

Today was Jack's birthday. He would have been 61 this year but rather he will remain 60 forever now in my thoughts and memories. Who new that one year could be both so joyful and then in an instant so volatile.

The sadness of autumn has passed and with it my partner. Then the long and tenuous winter which seemed to linger too long gave way to an early but empty spring. Now perched on the cusp of summer I am finding my way into the beginnings of what might be a new direction.

It is said that there is a time and season for everything. Perhaps my time and season are finally at hand. I have said many times that worry and remorse are only good for those who enjoy reveling in them. I don't. Rather I would look to the summer sky and see in it hope of new days in the sun, to smell the aromas of summer feasts and delight in their tastes, and to touch and feel the warmth of friendships and revel in their consolations and encouragements. Memories of past embraces will of course never die nor should they but new experiences must be allowed to enter lest they and we cease to exist.

Today yet another spring storm has passed by and the song of our robin in the ash tree is telling me that it is time to open the doors and windows and let the fresh, and newly energised breath of the season into our house. The sun is piercing the dark clouds and a shaft of light is illuminating my paper lanterns on the deck. There seems to be a promise of an even more beautiful day tomorrow and, if I am really lucky, there just might be a rainbow too.

No comments:

Post a Comment