Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Hour of the Wolf



Do you ever find yourself not able to sleep in the middle of the night but not really awake either; that twilight sleep that comes during "the hour of the wolf". It is during this time that I find myself most awake. A time before rem but after non-rem sleep.

It is 3am and time for the visitations to begin. Funny how the serenity of the night can open the door to the nether world. It is in that after midnight mist of my mind that I find my way to this other world, a world that is full of my creations; a world of comfort and confrontations. But it is in this other world that I find my soul waiting for me both patiently and anxious as well.

There is a procession of moments that occurs as my soul takes flight in this magical night. A litany of facts and feelings that conjure and capture, and caress my weary mind. Anesthetized by the lull of silent space I can see clearly the crystals of my conscious existence and watch them bloom like flowers in this endless space. This is my nirvana, my magical meditation and my penance for being me at once.

As the endless night wears on I am swept up in a wave of emotions that takes me to a peaceful shore; and with this tide I become the soil of a new beach on which I can reflect time itself.

From a long distance there comes the sound of the sunshine of a new day and the spell is broken. It is now time to awaken to my moment of reality. I must put back together the fractured pieces of my mind once again and start the new day all over. But I secretly know that in not so many hours I will be freed again by the midnight mist to become the time traveler once more and bask in the reflections of my lives.

It is now morning and I am awake and ready for the new day. The sun is shining and from the window by my bed I can see that the cherry tree's blossoms have finally opened and the birds are singing their songs in its branches. I am awake aren't I - or am I still dreaming?

No comments:

Post a Comment