Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Aging Naturally





















So, which looks good to you - younger, older, perhaps in between?

As we age life seems to imprint on us a series of seasons much like the rings of the giant redwood tree or perhaps the gentle willow. Whatever the species, we grow our rings to determine time and our bark becomes a sort of brittle. In times of plenty or times of drought our building blocks continue to stack and become, in the end, that thing we call ourselves.

When left to its own devices our growth and direction will by nature become a thing of beauty. Mellowed by the kiss of time we become a unique and wondrous work of art. However, if too much intention to the material world is paid we might instead become creatures of desire causing instead a bitter picture of all that is wrong indeed.

Today I woke up with the sun and looked out at my garden. The trees and flowers filled my heart with joy and promise. I thought to myself, what is it that provides this feeling of euphoria in nature? Then it occurred to me that perhaps it is the contentment found when nature takes the lead and the rhythm of the universe is let to its own. Once I had unleashed the symphony it became its own special song and the melody resonated in my ears.

There is a new pictures that I am painting here on 15th Street. It is the picture of mature contentment and placid existence. The street and it's environs have a special neighborhood feel mixed with city sleek and sprinkled with an international population. There is most definitely an overall academic undertone as well. The result is sort of urban utopia and it is resonating in me.

I think we shall like it here very much. It is a new garden and we seem to be thriving. Oh, and I seem to be getting younger again. There is magic here ...

No comments:

Post a Comment