Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Hummingbird & the Eagle



One day while sitting in the desert sunshine I noticed a hummingbird buzzing his way past my head on a quest for nourishment. I thought to myself how curious that he should be so hurried in his plight. Wouldn't he be better off to take life a little slower? Than he might not need so much energy. But that is not the nature of the hummingbird, rather his nature is to be hurried or his wings could not support his flight. At once I saw a majestic eagle riding the warm desert currents in his search for sustenance, a much easier way to hunt I thought.

Maybe that is part of the human condition. Perhaps we, in order to sport our life styles, must rush hurriedly to and fro until we cannot anymore bare it. Would I than rather be the eagle who rides on the wind and floats above the hills and mountains, surveying my kingdom until opportunity presents itself?

There are always choices to be made I fear and depending on the moment need to be determined. My grandmother once told me that good comes to those who wait but I have found that sometimes it must be sought out as well. Maybe life itself is only a venue of choices much like a parlor game, and depending on what you desire so goes the game.

Sitting in the desert sunshine is in itself a decision that I made many years ago. It became my venue, and vehicle if you will, to regain my energy and sanity for that matter. A place and time " to lay my head upon the grass and listen to it grow" so to speak. We all have our own venues and vehicles for work and for rest. Maybe they are not perfect in their creation but they are in fact of our making. So I though to myself, yes I think that I would be the eagle. Why not? After all he is regal and rides on the wind. But then again the hummingbird might just be happier in his microcosm and less stressed?

No comments:

Post a Comment