Friday, February 11, 2011

The Mountain in Me

Walking toward its face I feel the energy emerge like a fountain head in the rock erupting with centuries old secrets stored in its earth stone crust. From a distance you can see it standing mighty in it's magnificent majesty but being at it's feet is to know the true magnitude of its power.

Casting a mighty shadow on both valley and desert the granite god gives life to all who worship at its alter. Waters springing forth from it's bare rock create misty lakes and streams offering drink to the Flora & Fauna that cling to its side. Pine trees crown it's regal head and clean the air caught in its mane. Ancient spirits dwell in its forests and fields of sage grass gleaning sustenance from it's essence while mountain sprites run through its hills and valleys.

In the desert morning as the sun surfaces over the horizon of neighboring mountains my mountain comes to life being touched by the first rays of solar light. At first the top most peak begins to glow like a beacon announcing the new day. Then as the minutes progress the entire mountain ignites and glows in a morning embrace. The day has begun and as the mountain warms, the entire valley applauds the spectacle as nature itself takes a first breath.

While the mountain watches over the desert day I feel a special connection to its magnetic charm, as though it is trying to tell me that I am safe while standing in its embrace and secure in the knowledge that it will always be there. How many times have I visited its peaks and slept in its shadow, and how many times have I felt its presence in my dreams. Would that I could always be in its protection and play in its forests of pine forever again with my past perfect memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment